Thursday, May 22, 2014

Block of the Month 2012 quilt finished!

So it only took a year from start to finish to complete this quilt...and I say that with a deep sigh of relief for finally being finished!  The Craftsy class was a lot of fun, and I learned several new techniques and strategies for constructing numerous types of blocks.  I used the Asterisk block in a baby quilt, am making a quilt for the master bedroom using the block, and even attempted a paper-pieced sailboat block for my nephew's quilt.  

I presented the quilt to my parents as a Christmas (in March) gift.  They are huge Louisville Cardinal fans, so I knew they would enjoy the red and black color scheme.

Quilting the layers together was the most difficult part, just because my sewing machine is regular-sized and the middle especially was hard to position under the needle and move around since space on the left was limited.  Maybe my next Craftsy class will be learning how to quilt on small machines!

For the back, I used some scraps and the Dresden tool to create a straight line of color to connect the solid black pieces together.  I need to get a really turned out cool!  The black binding was stitched to the back and then hand sewn to the front.  That took a while, too, but thankfully Basketball season was still in swing so I could work on the binding in the same room that my husband was watching his Wildcats...yucky!!!

Overall, I am very proud of the work put into the quilt and the finished result!  

No comments:

Post a Comment